Kogi state college of education, Ankpa was established in July, 1981 as an Advanced Teachers’ College and shared the present temporary site with its original occupant, the Government Teachers’ College. Ankpa later transferred to Abejukolo. The College has remained on this temporary site since its inception. Lectures began in November 1981 with 18511 student’s in14 subject combinations and 11 academic departments with 23 lectures.
The College was affiliated to A.B.U. Zaria after the University conducted and approved the affiliation inspection in March, 1983.
In April, 1986, on the directive of the state Government, The name of the College was changed from Advanced Teachers’ College to College Of Education. This change of name of the institution was meant to enhance the states of the College and enable it perform greater roles in it teachers-training program.
In 1993/94 academic session, at the instance of the national Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE), established by the Federal Government, the College De- affiliated from A.B.U Zaria some years after the Creation
Edict No.20 of 1984, establishing the College, specified its objectives as follows;
- To offer courses leading to the award of Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) this qualifies gradients to teach in primary schools, secondary schools, etc.
- To act as centre for research into the various areas of educational theory and practice.
- To organize from time to time to service course for serving teachers; and
- To pursue some other objectives as may be decided upon by the Council.
To be a model institution of higher learning, which ranks among the best in Nigeria and the world at large and is responsive to the creation and innovative abilities of the Nigerian people.
To develop the human mind to be creative, innovative, knowledgeable, competent in areas of specialization and dedicated to service.
- To stipulate the, requisite conditions for the admission of students into the college;
- To provide courses of instructions in academic and professional subjects for the students of the College art for others.
- To set up departments and other units of learning and research in accordance with the objectives of the College.
- To create such offices and posts as may be required by the College, appoint and remove persons from such offices or posts and prescribe their conditions of service;
- To provide such physical facilities like libraries, classrooms, laboratories, workshops, hostels, dining halls and other facilities as the College may require for its purposes;
- To provide residential, recreational and welfare amenities for the members of staff of the College;
- To draw up rules for the discipline of the students of the College; and
- To print and/or publish academic materials or undertake services as may be considered consistent with the objectives of the College.
Provost, Deputy Provost, College Librarian, Director of Academic Programs, Deans of School, Head of Departments, Registrar.
- To direct and manage academic of the College including the curriculum, regulations of admission, organization of examinations, the award of certificates, prizes, and other distinctions;
- To make recommendation to the Council on the organization of departments, libraries and other units of learning in the College;
- To make regulations for the purpose of exercising of the functions conferred on it by the Council;
- To appoint sub-committees or other such bodies for it and to which it may delegate any of the function conferred on it by the Council; and
- To perform any other function s that may be delegated to it by the Council.
1. To organize all sporting activities in the college; and
2. To prepare students for state, national and international collegiate competition
1. To conduct all college examination
2. To organize and/or participate in contentious
3. Assessment workshops or conferences to aid their innovative capacity; and
3. To ensure compliance with NCCE guideline in examination matters
Teaching Practice Committee
1. To organize teaching practice
2. To conduct orientation for students and supervisors of Teaching practice;
3. To post students to various schools for teaching Practice; and
4. To treat all cases of indiscipline during Teaching Practice and recommend appropriate measures for Disciplinary actions.